1) Just because you have mice, doesn't mean you won't get a rat. The mice will just disappear while the rat is around.
2) Rats have selective tastes. They found our chocolate vitamin chews, passing over crackers, dried fruit, candy, and nuts.
3) They like to eat in a comfortable place. Thus, they moved all (meaning 20-30 foil wrapped vitamins) of the calcium chews from one drawer to the other, which was padded with dish clothes, before dining.
4) They are not that smart, and will get caught in a snap trap.
5) Rats will scavenge their own kind.
6) Some rats look cute and fuzzy. The ones with the black and greasy tails are the worst.
7) If you think you have a rat, it sounds like you have a rat...then you do. Don't be in denial.
What do you know about ratting? Maybe I'll start a website dedicated to supporting all those domestic heroes out there, de-ratting their homes when all others have failed, when the "we are moving" ax is just about to fall (married men know what I am saying). Comrade, I salute you.